Hello lovely lovelies!! Thanks for hanging with me last week as I dealt with a house full of kids and madness. Spring break. Suddenly seven teenagers in the house. I think that says it all!
I learned a lot this week researching for this post. I learned things I never even knew existed! WOO!!
My heart is filled with cosmic fire
As usual, nyasa has a multitude of definitions, including: Placing, fixing, inserting, applying, drawing, painting, writing down. Written text, lowering the voice, introducing, entrusting things to the mind, and assigning body parts to a deity through touch and mantra.
So, in researching this prompt, I discovered that Nyasa is a Tantric practice of using mudra (hand gestures), mantra (repetition of words through chanting), and ritual touch to assign a nature of the divine to a specific area of the body. OKAY THAT’S A LOT OF STUFF. Basically, you can introduce sacred qualities to an area of your body. Such as your head, your heart, your left earlobe.
As I was researching, I also came across the idea of using a mudra and fire mantra to infuse your heart with cosmic fire. Can you imagine an army of love warriors, hearts filled with sacred fire, marching across the planet, spreading love everywhere they go? OKAY maybe my imagination ran wild with that one, but. Wow.
This is the Shuni mudra (thumb and middle fingertips touching), which has a bunch of spiritual significance. The fingers of fire and ether are touching. The middle finger is the finger of responsibility while the thumb is the finger of self-assertion (or ego). Shuni represents Saturn, which is the seal of patience. It symbolizes patience, discipline, and stability.
Ram (pronounced rom) is the mantra of the solar plexus chakra, which is all about fire. Chanting ram brings the fire, placing the mudra at your heart directs it.
All of those elements together, the fire and ether of the mudra, the fire of the mantra, the nyasa (placement), gives you a heart full of cosmic fire. And Bob’s your uncle. Unless your uncle is named Duane.
Ways to work with this prompt:
- This is such a weird prompt – there’s not really a specific “hey do this!” Since nyasa as a practice is about ritual touch, try closing your eyes and placing the palm of your hand over your heart. Fill that space with love. Place your hand as if you are offering love and support to a dear friend.
- Try the ram mantra and shuni mudra. Journal about your experiences, either visually or written.
- Explore the concept of entrusting something to the mind.
- Work with the quote “my heart is filled with cosmic love”
- Write, draw, paint something with the utmost focus on placement. Whether it’s placement of an image, a pattern, or your coffee cup (far from your paint water!), focus on placement.
Here’s the video for this week! There’s lots of jabbering about the prompt and life in general included in the real-time-with-voice-explanation video that you get if you’re a Patreon supporter (and who doesn’t want to hear me ramble like a moron for 10 minutes, really?!! Oh wait, I guess I’m not really selling this, am I?!)
AND I’M OUT! xoxoxo!